Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's in a Name?


The NAACP held a funeral for the "N Word" on Monday in Detroit. I think this is a great thing. It seems like a way to move beyond an era in which people could be tagged with this vicious epithet in an attempt to take their dignity and power.
I think it's a good idea, but I say that from the privileged position of one who has never been subjected to the "N Word" and can't really imagine the totality of its power. Honestly, I really don't deserve a full say in this debate, and neither does any other person who can't really know what it is like to have the baggage of that word heaped upon him or her. Frankly, it's probably rather patronizing for me to say that this is a good thing. But hey, it's my blog, so I get to say what I want. We're talking about a very ugly word, and I think it would be good to bury it deep underground, as long as we don't now think that racism has been eradicated by a symbolic gesture. Sadly, racism is alive and well, and it will take a lot of pine boxes (and education, and dialogue, and changes of mind and heart) to lay it to rest.

This all gets me thinking about another debate in which I do have a stake. I like the word "queer." I find it to be a useful word, when applied in the proper context (in other words, when not hurled out a car window as a slur). It's inclusive, and avoids the alphabet soup of "LGBTQSAetc."
Or is it inclusive? "Queer" seems inclusive to me, because I think of myself as queer. There are a lot of folks who would accept one of the above soup letters, however, and would not ever in a million years call themselves "queer." So it is simultaneously an inclusive and exclusive word, depending again on the context. For many folks, that word is as offensive as the "N Word." This is generational and regional and surely cultural. When I was in Berkeley, I met almost no one who disliked the word "queer." Here in the Heartland, I have met several, and have taken to using the word much less often, so as not to run the risk of offending anyone.
"Queer" is an insider word, at least outside of academia, where "Queer Studies" programs are taking off. It's a word that certain people will get away with using, and others will not. That may be a problem; I don't know.
I actually don't know what to do with the word altogether. Should we bury it? Reclaim it? Use it selectively? Some other option I haven't considered?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pastor
I think this is interesting because I have been told that I am "queer". Our friend Dawn called me that first and I like how it feels for me. But as someone who is also an "outsider" I have come across many folk who don't like the word at all and find that I don't mind it .. strange. I don't know.. I have a hard time with labels and tags.. but this one seems to fit me just right.. so.. should we use it still? I don't know.. I do know that around my friends who find it offensive I certainly don't. Words have power and we have to be careful with how we wield that strength.
Peace & love from your queer friend
Niki

Anonymous said...

I personally don't like that word. Simply put, I am gay. Yes that makes me different, but saying that it makes me queer has a negative connotation with me. I don't mind labels. I like them, in fact, because they sure can make life easier. To me, the word gay is a label, the word queer is an adjective, and in that sense, derogatory.

Scotty