Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Writing Something

My blog needs updating. My girlfriend told me, and I know she's right, not that I received her right-ness with appropriate grace and gratitude.

So I do need to write something and maybe I'll write about writing. Specifically that we ought to all be doing more of it, since it's really suffering. I love all the great social media out there, and texting, and the other opportunities creeping up--opportunities to mangle the English language and send grammar to an early grave. Really I do.

But I had to give up Twitter, since 140 characters means writing "u" when you mean "you." And using numbers as words. I've tried it out when texting (since you only get 160 there). Doesn't really work for me.

I think we should all try our hands at formal writing, by which I mean writing that uses letters only. If you need to write about numbers over ten, then you can use numerals. But otherwise, letters. And complete sentences, though they can be fragments, if you know what you're doing. Seriously. Fragments are an appropriate way to indicate emphasis. Really. They are not not not an appropriate way to communicate generally in written discourse.

So that's what I think. I think we should all write more. Except for Ann Coulter and Jonah Goldberg. They should write less. Maybe just on Twitter.

2 comments:

Ruth Ellen said...

I think we should all write more.

Really? All of us?

Roger Gustafson said...

OK, Donna, it's time you wrote another something. The last time you posted was August 2010. C'mon, the world has moved a bit since then, and so has Abiding Peace and St. Mark's - hey, they've actually moved closer together! In fact, they're actually getting together! What amazing possibilities! So what's ahead, pastor?