Saturday, May 25, 2019

Wondering Love--Easter Vigil


Sermon for SMHP, Year C, Easter Vigil, April 20, 2019
John 20:1-18
          Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb. 2So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.” 3Then Peter and the other disciple set out and went towards the tomb. 4The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. 5He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. 6Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen wrappings lying there, 7and the cloth that had been on Jesus’ head, not lying with the linen wrappings but rolled up in a place by itself. 8Then the other disciple, who reached the tomb first, also went in, and he saw and believed; 9for as yet they did not understand the scripture, that he must rise from the dead. 10Then the disciples returned to their homes.
          But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb; 12and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the other at the feet. 13They said to her, ‘Woman, why are you weeping?’ She said to them, ‘They have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid him.’ 14When she had said this, she turned round and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not know that it was Jesus. 15Jesus said to her, ‘Woman, why are you weeping? For whom are you looking?’ Supposing him to be the gardener, she said to him, ‘Sir, if you have carried him away, tell me where you have laid him, and I will take him away.’ 16Jesus said to her, ‘Mary!’ She turned and said to him in Hebrew,* ‘Rabbouni!’ (which means Teacher).
               17Jesus said to her, ‘Do not hold on to me, because I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, “I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.” ’ 18Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, ‘I have seen the Lord’; and she told them that he had said these things to her.

          Anybody ever come home, or gone out to your car, only to find that you’ve been burgled?
          It’s happened to me a few times—four times with my car, and twice in my office.  At home just stuff out of the shed.
          And every time it has happened to me, it has taken me from a few seconds to a minute or so to realize what happened.  Like, I’ve gone out to the car and thought, “Why did I leave the glovebox open?  That was dumb!”  And then I notice that things have been removed from the glovebox, or things are in the wrong place, or—worst of all—my mini-stash of coins and dollar bills is gone.
          And each time I think I probably should have realized what has happened sooner, but our minds don’t really work that way.  We seek out the most plausible answer:  “I left the glovebox open.”
          Then slowly, we start to see what has actually happened.  “Wait, my computer’s not actually in this office anywhere…”
          Here’s what I have never once surmised, in the midst of one of those situations—and I bet you haven’t either.
          I have never once surmised that the things missing from my car, or my office, or my shed were resurrected.  Never once thought that God had just spirited away my computer to fulfill the promises of the prophetic witness.
          Have you?  Ever thought that?
          So I raise that because it is easy from our cushy vantage point here in Two Thousand Years Later to judge poor Mary Magdalene for not realizing that maybe something supernatural had happened in that tomb.
          She does have a few clues, which could make you think maybe she should have realized what had happened.  On the other hand, her first thought is that somebody stole Jesus, while it always takes me a while to come to that conclusion.
         
          I always like having John’s resurrection narrative for the Vigil gospel, for a couple of reasons.  First, it says Mary went to the tomb in the dark, so good time parity.
          More importantly, though, this tale of resurrection makes sense to those of us who come out each year to sit in the liminal space between death and life.  Where Matthew and Luke both include an announcement that Jesus has been raised from the dead in their Easter narratives, John lets us stumble along with Mary as she figures it out. 
          John’s story is a good old-fashioned mystery, from its first line.
          “Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb.”
[play Law & Order chung chung]
          Stone rolled away.  First clue.
          It’s fair to say that Mary is not exactly Sherlock Holmes, or even Lennie Brisco, because she solves the mystery first and then begins to examine the clues.  As soon as she sees the stone rolled away, she determines that someone has moved Jesus’s body, and she very doggedly sticks to that story as she talks to angels and then Jesus himself, all the while holding to her original narrative.
         
          And this is why I love this account of the resurrection on this night.  Maybe it is all a bit much for you.  I know it is for me.  Last night we were walking with the cross and listening to plaintive violin music.  Tonight the tomb is empty.
          What does it mean?
          Well, it means that Christ is ri…diculously good at the whole power over death thing.  And it means that we as his followers inherit our own power over death.  And it means that we belong to a God with a whole lot of power, and let’s be honest, it means a lot of things.
          It means different things for us at different times.  I know there have been times in my life when I needed actual resurrection.  And other times when I was ready to testify to others about God’s power.
          Tonight we get a chance to simply sit and wonder what it all means for us.  What does it mean to you that the tomb is empty?  What does it mean to follow a savior who has power over death and who has conferred that power upon you?
          And why does Mary think Jesus is the gardener?
          Tomorrow will be big and we will be dressed right and say all the right words.  Tonight is time to ponder, to peek into the tomb and wonder what it all means.
          Blessings upon your wondering.  Blessed be the mystery of this night.  [chung chung]
         


No comments: