Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Early Morning Humor

So it's 4 a.m. and I've been up for a bit. Already printed the Goodsoil Talking Points and my boarding passes for both flights--what a great thing that is! And I'm reading through my email and come across the funniest thing I've seen in a while:

WordAlone welcomes gay, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons into churches, just as we welcome all individuals. For we all are sinners equally in need of repentance and are in need of church fellowship.

Here's all I'll say about that, from my English major heart: the subject and predicate of that sentence do not go together. And if one is going to feign welcome, one might make a small effort to get one's terms correct.

It was a great chuckle to get me going, though. No doubt there will be more statements like this at Churchwide, offering some sort of reparative "welcome." The best response is no doubt a good belly laugh. There is work to be done, and there are many hearts in our church which are open to welcome. So off we go.

No comments: